Saturday, December 31, 2011


First off, I absolutely <i>love</i> the Mahu series. I love that it takes place where I live and I know the streets and the beaches mentioned in the books. I love the way the detective, Kimo Kanapa'aka, has developed from being closeted (even to himself) to mentoring gay kids (as well as other adults). But I only sometimes love the way his relationships go. This book helps on that score.


Mahu Men is a series of short stories that tell us about Kimo's sex life. There are a couple of mysteries but for the most part, this is the part of his life we don't see in the Mahu books. And he really does have a great sex life! These stories take place between Mahu Fire and Manu Vice, while Kimo and his lover, Mike, are broken up. He is despondent and takes on a new partner (a straight, married man who, happily, doesn't mind that Kimo is gay) and a lot of one night stands.


If you, like me, want to see more of a sex life for Kimo, then this is your book.

No comments:

Post a Comment